Pages

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Pockets - Inside or Outside your Skirt?

I was always led to believe that pockets, no matter how beautifully decorated, were always worn under the skirt. Although it seems a shame not to show off the lovely stitching, security in the days of no street lighting and footpads on every corner, always would have commanded a greater priority than flaunting fashion. Many pairs of pockets have become separated over time, so to have the opportunity to image this crewel-work pair made around 1725-1750 which are still attached was a great pleasure for me when I visited the Swaledale Museum in Reeth a couple of years ago. The Museum in Reeth, in the heart of the North Yorkshire moors, is probably one of the most charming museums I have ever visited, and certainly one with the best views. But what sets it apart is that it is the only museum I know with guest rooms attached! Coming back to the pockets, all my certainties were thrown into doubt when recently I came across this picture circa 1785 in France. Here the woman is clearly wearing her pockets outside her skirt. Is it a difference between cultures? Might it have been the case that at certain times of the day the pockets were worn outside the skirt? Can you shed any light on this question?

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love pockets! lol! All I can tell you, Jacqueline, is that when I worked at an historic site (Van Corlandt Manor in Croton-on-Hudson, NY), we wore our pockets outside, but under our aprons. Does that make sense? :D And we just had one -- what fun to have two! I really have no clue how historically accurate we were dress wise, but that's what we did. It was so fun to work there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought pockets were worn underneath skirts as well, but it seemed a bit impractical to actually get anything out of them, I don't know how they worked around that. Being on the outside seems more practical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's a pocket to hold clothes pins? It looks like she might be hanging out laundry? Maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a wonderful exhibition of pockets at the Museum of costume in Bath a couple of years ago and have the book somewhere - must look it out , they where really a record of stitching in the same way of samplers and went from things of beauty to purely practical

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do remember reading about pockets...they were usually worn inside the skirt, and those ladies who wore them outside scandalized the neighborhood. It was looked upon the same as wearing your underwear in public! As time passed, wearing them outside the skirt became acceptable, then fashionable. The modern look of exposed bra straps comes to mind in comparison...*wink*

    I think there is an article on embroidered pockets in an early issue of Piecework. If I can find it I will let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karrie: They has a slit in the side of their skirts. I would think it would be a bit awkward trying to find the opening in the pocket to retrieve something...

    ReplyDelete