Pages

Saturday 4 July 2009

A Magical 4th of July



What a day! I so wish you all could have been with me at the Silk Museum in Macclesfield. I had the honour of talking about Quaker Pinballs on the same stage as two great people - Kaffe Fassett and Diana Springall. Kaffe is loved the world over for his fabulous colours in knitting, needlepoint and patchwork - and Diana is a giant in the world of textile art - her designs must surely make her a National Treasure. Why, unike our friends in Japan, we do not celebrate the gift and inspiration such people bring to their country, I do not know. Diana is a former chairman of both The Embroiderers' Guild and The Society of Designer Craftsmen, and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.

Here you can see a piece of commissioned work for the Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank, London. I have to say that both are lovely and special to people to be with and I look forward to seeing more of them.

The silk museum is a fabulous place for embroiderers as well as all textile artists thanks to the unceasing and dedicated work of director, Richard de Peyer. He has inaugurated regular one-day workshops on embroidery and associated topics. I shall write up a special Focus on Museums when I return home.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your 4th of July wishes! Wow! What an occasion for Kaffe and Diana to be on the same stage with you - a person who has passion and love for her art:)
    Joan in ellicott city, md - just starting on Mary Wigham - pics to the "head girl" to follow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know very well Macclesfield because I used to live in Didsbury ¡ this part of england is beautiful and I have many souvenirs
    dominique from venezuela

    ReplyDelete