Pages

Thursday 2 July 2009

And when you are not stitching Mary Wigham

In 17th century Britain, spot motif samplers were cloths which recorded a repertoire of patterns and motifs for further use. Your Mary Wigham is now your very own spot sampler. You can take motifs from it, change the palette - and you have all had plenty of inspiration from each other, haven't you? - and use the motif to create something very personal for yourself. This morning before breakfast I just digitally whipped up this pin-keep thanks to a little help from Zaza in France who stitched this lily motif (you will see her sampler later, I promise). You can see some fabulous 17th century spot motif cloths in The Goodhart Samplers. Maybe you have some good ideas for smalls using Ackworth motifs which you would like to share with us?

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I just found out about Mary Wigham two weeks ago and I am hooked! Is there anything known about who she was?
    Renée

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pin-keep! I discovered the Mary Wigham SAL two weeks ago and I am hooked! Is there anything known about who she was?
    Renée

    ReplyDelete