Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2009

Everybody now cheer for the ladies of Loudon Sampler Guild in Leesburg Virginia, USA

I hope Anne who is at the right of this photo and Barbara who is second from left can hear us all. What good progress they are all making. It is lovely when you can meet up together and stitch, isn't it? I know that Betty Whiting Flemming is there with you still in spirit. For those of you who never had the privilege to meet Betty who died this year, she was a curator at the Loudoun Museum from 1992 to 1999, where she was responsible for Threads of History, a sampler exhibit and symposium. She spent two years researching and planning a Loudoun Museum event, The Quaker Girl: Her Life and Her Needlework, in 2008. Betty was a great force for good in the field of needlework, samplers in particular. So let's all give a hearty cheer for Betty too - altogether now - Hip, Hip, Hip, Hooray!

3 comments:

  1. Hurrah for the Sampler Guild. They are a great bunch of fabulous stitchers and a wonderful monument to Mrs. Flemming's influence in the northern Virginia area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I was fortunate enough to be a member of the Guild from 1998 - 2001 and always appreciated Betty's knowledge, lovingly imparted. I miss you, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased 2 samplers from the collection of Betty White Fleming. They are Ann Taylor,1808, and Bronhaulog, Catherine Owens, 1853. They did not come with their provenance. Would any of your members be able to point me in the right direction to find this information? Betty was such an expert, I am sure the information on these 2 samplers is available, but just where, I do not know. Thank you for your help, Sincerely, Dorothy Golden DeFrancia

    ReplyDelete