Pages

Thursday 20 August 2009

Tiptoeing around the edges?


It is lovely to see Enila's sampler making good progress. But as it is detective day today, I am intrigued that she has completed all the edge medallions in advance of the rest of the sampler. And Enila is not alone, other stitchers have gone down this route also. Of course, you can complete the sampler in any order you wish, but the predispositions of seasoned stitchers to adopt one approach or another could provide valuable insight into the order in which the original samplers were worked. Does completing the perimeter help you space/locate the other motifs more easily? Or is it a case of defining the sampler's bounds? Or something entirely different?

4 comments:

  1. I started on download 1 and am working my through consecutively. Lily, working independently, did all the margins first. I've never seen it done that way before and I too was intrigued.And, although it says Donald at the top (I'm using my husband's computer right now) it's really me, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enila, you are doing a wonderful job. I would not have thought to do the edges first but it is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually start working on on the corner of a big piece of fabric and do edges first. As soon as I have finished the edges I can cut the fabric to the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm somewhat chicken! I start in the middle because I was taught that way, plus I'm always worried if there is enough fabric (even though I've never run out!). I think you can catch any mistakes easier this way because you know that the next area is not fitting like it should.

    ReplyDelete