Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Hundreds In Stitches

The county of Norfolk in the UK was subdivided at the time of the Domesday Book into administrative and taxation areas called hundreds. These ancient divisions survived until 1834 when the Poor Law unions replaced them. Since then there have been many reorganizations and restructurings, so it is interesting and rare indeed to see the old hundreds marked on a stitched work. Here are the Norwich hundreds in alphabetical order (some are further divided into North and South or East and West): Blofield, Brothercross, Clackclose, Clavering, Depwade, Diss, Docking, Earsham, Erpingham, Eynsford, Flegg, Forehoe, Freebridge, Gallow, Greenhoe, Grimshoe, Guiltcross, Happing, Henstead, Holt, Humbleyard, Lackford, Launditch, Loddon, Mitford, Shropham, Smithdon, Taverham, Tunstead, Walsham, Wayland. This example stitched by Mary Anne Burnham when she was 7 in 1788 is for auction at Ewbank Auctions at their 28-30 September sale and has a guide price of £200-£300. Click here for more details.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating sampler. What she shows as Lothingland is now in Suffolk and it's where I live! In fact the school they have just shut is called Lothingland Middle and my son would have gone there next year.
    I love that the Northh Sea was called The German Sea, I wonder when they changed the name?
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can post a comment here finely.

    marianne (Soest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have been having difficulties, Marian'ne - thank you for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J, it took me jears, really !!;-)
    I am not that good with the PC.

    I love to read here about the samplers and his hitory. And see the lovely pictures you know.

    On mij new started brei-cafe's in Holland I tell them about this all and specially the Ackworth story.

    ReplyDelete