Pages

Sunday 2 May 2010

Somebody Said It Was May Already

Somebody told me it was May. Goodness how time flies. And see I have no shame - here is me aged six when I was a May Queen attendant. That was quite a dubious honour at the time, at least for our mothers who had to make the dresses. Materials were still short as rationing had not long ended, so things had to begged and borrowed. My mother made the dress - all hand-stitched until late into the night - and I was so thrilled to have such a pretty dress. My tiara was a plastic cake doiley lent from his shop window by the local baker, as was the holder around my posy. I squeezed into the year before's Whitsun sandals (thank goodness for peek-toes!) on what was rather a wet and windy May Day. The picture was taken in the school yard (walls blackened with smoke before anyone ever dreamt there would be a Clean Air Act) where we danced, maypoleless since they are hard to plant in asphalt, and where there was a procession of children on their trikes, bikes and scooters all decorated with Christmas trimmings!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable. Such a lovely memory to share with us all. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute you were!! I love the dress...do you still have it? How wonderful of your mom to put so much work into it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say that I didn't know what became of the dress - but now I think about it, I think it went to make my niece's (my mum's first grandchild) Christening dress. I had totally forgotten and wouldn't have known until you asked. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Te cuento sea la época que sea, lo que a mi me paso en mi primera comunión, la emoción era tan grande que no dormí casi, y viendo tu foto me recordaste ese momento por las flores que sostienes en las manos. Mi tocado era bien sencillo y lindo. aun conservaba el vestido ya tengo 44 años. Que momentos a hora los chicos no tienen estas experiencia sera la pc que los hace cambiar o es otro ámbito de lucha, su interior, lo buenos son los lindos momentos que si pasan se quedan con uno. El corre corre de mamá por la comida, vevida, mi ropa etc. Gracias Dios. y gracias a ti por recordarme lo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome Jaqueline! It reminded me of my mom sewing me costumes to enter in the local 'doll carriage parade'. She would sew the costume and decorate my dolls carriage following a theme...I think my favorite was Alice In Wonderland...she made a 3 foot rabbit out of chicken coop wire, covered it with tissue roses and even made him a black velvet vest and silver pocket watch. She was very creative, and we always won first prize...

    ReplyDelete