Pages

Friday 22 January 2010

New York Sampler - Sotheby's 23 Jan 2010

Ever since I first saw a sampler like this and was taught that there was a whole school of them from New York, I fell in love them. It is their unique, almost comic-strip way they have of representing biblical stories that appealed so much to me. This type of sampler was worked between 1746 and 1768, mostly by the daughters of Trinity Church parishioners. It is thought that their patterns most likely originated at the French boarding school for girls in New Rochelle. Here you can see Adam and Eve, The Parable of the Sower, Elijah being fed by the ravens and Jacob's Dream. Jane Deall who stitched this samplers was born 10 July 1759 in New York City, and was baptized 8 August 1759 at Trinity Church (in lower Manhattan). Her parents were Samuel Deall and his wife, Elizabeth. This wonderful sampler is Lot 460 and is to be auctioned at Sotheby's in New York on 23 January.

3 comments:

  1. It's always amazing to me that such young hands made such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pieces up for auction at Sotheby's. {{Sigh}} Maybe someday soon we will see the reproduction patterns and we can own one ourselves! I truly enjoy reading your blog...you have such wonderful stories and lovely needlework. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline,

    Just checked this morning the Sotheby's website. This lot sold for USD $50,000! Here is the link: http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?sale_number=N08608&live_lot_id=460

    Also, I selected the boarder I am using form the Old European Motifs Vol. 1. I posted my WIP on my blog. Check it out. www.outsidethelane.blogspot.com

    Best regards,

    Romy ;-)

    ReplyDelete