Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Happy Birthday Mr Shakespeare - Happy 450 To You!

Though we don't know for certain the date in 1564 on which our William was born, 23 April is the date we celebrate - and that is today. I feel quite sad when I remember my relatively enlightened schooldays when we were dragged kicking and screaming, full stop by semi-colon through the works of Shakespeare. But in spite of that unsympathetic introduction, I was never totally turned off, and my love of the bard blossoms and grows all the time, the more I read and visit the theatre. You might like to Google to see how many embroiderers he has inspired. Here you can see a locally made silk bookmark celebrating his tercentenary. Below are some embroidered buttons by Not On The High Street at £5 each. Which play?
Olympia Le-Tan designed the stylish embroidered clutch below and it can be purchased for £995 click here for more details. Perhaps you have a favourite piece from Shakespeare you would like to share? Here is mine - Sonnet XXIX
When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
If you would like to find out more do visit the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment