Pages

Wednesday 21 July 2010

The Wonders of Aylesbury Vale Embroiderers' Guild


I had the great pleasure to be invited to talk about samplers at Saturday's meeting of the Aylesbury Vale Embroiderers' Guild. As always, though, I come home with more than I set out with. I learnt so much - and was even given a jar of wonderful homemade marmalade. One of the high points for me was seeing a wonderful selection of Ann Mary's personal collection of needlework which she shares with the guild at every meeting.

I was totally captivated by this linen needlework notebook which documents stitches very much in the manner of Louisa Pesel whose stitch diagrams you can see exhibited at the V&A in London.
Not only are there worked examples of the stitches but also handwritten annotations making this such a personal and unique artifact. What you are seeing here is in fact my New Year's Resolution writ large - I must make one too! I must not forget to say a big thank-you to Anita, another Aylesbury Vale Guild member, who provided me with the images you see here. And thanks to everyone for their insight, information and comments which made my visit so interesting.

2 comments:

  1. By the time I got to your New Year's Resolution, I had had the very same thought: I Need One Too! How utterly wonderful this is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, accomplished work. The blue seems to give it a particualrly effective look. Absolutely priceless, in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete