Pages

Saturday 10 July 2010

Stitchers with Glass Fingers....


While on the subject of personal stitching foibles, I don't know about you but I have never been one to use a thimble. I remember having handed to me a dimpled metal one at school and I just couldn't get along with it - in fact my concern to stop it falling off my finger, rolling noisily across my desk and tumbling onto the floor did more to hinder my stitching than help it. There are so many pretty thimbles around - but most of them seem to end up in display cabinets as opposed to on digits. Doesn't the paint chip off porcelain thimbles? And these crystal ones, although appropriately engraved with stitches, don't seem quite practical to me - wouldn't they scratch? Were they ever intended to be worn, or were they simply decorative items to be collected. Perhaps someone can tell me?

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't wear a thimble. When my finger gets to show signs of wear I use a small piece of Dr Scholl's moleskin which has a self adhesive backing. Don't know if you can get it in the UK, but it's everywhere here in the states. It is used to put on heel or toes to keep them from rubbing in shoes and looks like felt.
    I don't know for sure, but I'll bet the glass thimbles are souvenirs only for display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you about the us or non-use of glass thimbles, but I do actually use metal thimbles when sewing. I only use them when I am sewing on very thick or stiff fabrics and need extra support to puch the needle through the fabric and not into my finger. I exspecially use them when I am sewing period bonnets due to the buckrum support and when using a curved needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can use the metal thimble only. The china.I did not see glass like this yet. Very nice, but i guess this rather ornamental piece.
    Mammka-Monika from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't used them, mostly because I think of them as thick fabric needs (like rebecca said). However, as I'm considering it, I believe that part of what would help in using one is to put it on the middle finger instead of index. I use my index finger way more than my middle, and you don't always need to use the thimble. Seems like it might be more workable for me that way. (Though the only thimble I have is cloisonne from my grandmother who's passed... so I probably wouldn't ever use it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used a thimble (although Gran tried to encourage it years ago) until I took up hand quilting- when it became a necessity. My hand quilting suffered greatly until I discovered a Roxanne thimble- VERY pricy but wow, does it work well! I cannot imagine using a crystal thimble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought of the glass and china thimbles as decorative rather than usable. I have a thimble collection and I have all kinds of materials in mine...but if and when (seldom) I use a thimble I always use the metal or leather with coin tip thimbles. I believe if you want a definitive answer, you might contact Gay Ann Rogers (http://www.gayannrogers.com/site_2/Home_Page.html) I think she wrote a book on thimbles.

    ReplyDelete