Pages

Monday 5 July 2010

Gillian Writes More About Keturah Targett

I had a very exciting and excited email from Gillian this morning related to the July 4 post which featured a sampler stitched by Keturah Targett. This is what Gillian said:
'I was so intrigued at the name Keturah Targett that I Googled her. There may well be an Australian connection. Here is what I found out -

Keturah Targett was born on June 18, 1853 at sea on the voyage to Australia and died on January 13, 1913 in Bega, NSW at age 59. She immigrated to Australia with family on the vessel Meteor in 1853. She married William Edwards in 1878 in Bega, NSW. (By the way her mother was also called Keturah, but she was born in 1827 and her maiden name was Angel.)' For more details click here. Gillian continues: 'And, wait, there's more: Keturah is of Hebrew origin and its meaning is "incense". Keturah was the second wife of Abraham and mother of six of his sons. The name was revived by the Puritans. I love a challenge and I just thought it was such an interesting name!'

Thank you so much Gillian for your research. Now if only I had been called Keturah Angel.....

No comments:

Post a Comment