Pages

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Sleon une édtue

I have just been speaking to Matt Davies at the Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge about your comments - particularly those of you who have English as a second language. For those English speakers with a second European language here is some more fun for you:
Sgeun un etsduio de una uivenrsdiad ignlsea, no ipmotra el odren en el que las ltears etsan ersciats, la uicna csoa ipormtnate es que la pmrirea y la utlima ltera esten ecsritas en la psiocion cocrrtea. El rsteo peuden estar ttaolmntee mal y aun pordas lerelo sin pobrleams. Etso es pquore no lemeos cada ltera por si msima preo la paalbra es un tdoo.
Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas un mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete peut êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.
Vlgones een oznrdeeok op een Eglnese uvinretsiet mkaat het neit uit in wlkee vloogdre de ltteers in een wrood saatn, het einge wat blegnaijrk is is dat de eretse en de ltaatse ltteer op de jiutse patals saatn. De rset van de ltteers mgoen wllikueirg gpletaast wdoren en je knut vrelvogens gwoeon lzeen wat er saatt. Dit kmot odmat we neit ekle ltteer op zcih lzeen maar het wrood als gheeel.

6 comments:

  1. I was delayed in commenting on the last article, I tried the English and French (Please refer to Needleprint Nihon). French is my third language and it has been more than ten years since I last learned it in university. This Cambridge research is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me - I didn't know I could read Spanish that easily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 years of High School French and I did understand bits and pieces of that paragraph. Mostly the very common words.

    1 year of Spanish and I live in Texas where there is a great deal of Spanish a round, and I was able to parse out a few of the common words there too.

    So for me, any of those 3 languages English, French & Spanish the idea is proven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx for the Dutch part ;)
    Funny how our brain works isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have discovered something: Is easy for me to read the sample in English than in Spanish. Maybe because in Spanish we use accents and the absent of one changes the meaning of the word, and I had to re-read the letters to get the right word that gives the meaning to the sentence.

    So weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How true! I'm Dutch and it worked...

    ReplyDelete