Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Does Anyone Know E Hornby Letts - Embroiderer?


I am forever rescuing lovely embroideries from charity (thrift) shops. It is a sad fact that when some people die, their beneficiaries seem not to value their needleworks. I came across a set of 5 pieces by E Hornby Letts while browsing in Salisbury just before Christmas. All the pieces were expertly designed and executed, but I could choose just one to save and this was the one. I was hopeful that I would be able to find out more since the reverse of the frame has the address and telephone number of the embroiderer, so possibly this had been an exhibition piece. However, attempts to make contact with the address or telephone number failed and so I am none the wiser. I do hope someone in the area may come across this image and will be able to tell me more about E Hornby Letts. The piece is titled Silver Birches and dates, I would guess from the frame, from late 60s to mid 70s. The clever strategies employed for the shading remind me of the work of weavers at West Dean College.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard of this name but good to see your rescue! Sometimes I do wonder what will happen to our needlework, not everybody is mad about our stuff.
    Keep well and hope your not snowed in!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the abstract look to this piece! I'm sorry that I've never heard of this person, but the piece was well worth being saved. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete