Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Stitched Memories of a Voyage Round the World

Bonhams have some splendid ship embroideries at their auction on 25th May. I particularly took a shine to Martin Forsberg's work entitled: In Memory of My Voyage Around the World - S.S. Memphis City of which you can see a detail above.
And here is an image of the entire work. The estimate is $800- $1200 and the lot number is 2034.
And I am a sucker too for a clipper ship with its top gallants flying in the wind! Son number 1 - Gareth - did stunt work for The Pirates of Cut Throat Island and was up there in the top gallants! We keep watching the video with binoculars, magnifying glasses and microscopes and we can only conclude they cut his scenes! This embroidered beauty is Lot 2033 and has en estimate of $2000 - $3000.
By contrast with the ships above, this is a very serene image. Lot 2032 has an estimate of $1000 - $1500.
And because I have had a long term, on/off love affair with Cape Cod since I was about 8, I had to include this anonymous work - Lot 3070 with an estimate of $500-$700. Whenever I fly into Boston or New York, I am nose against the window looking out for this giant fish hook projecting into the Atlantic with always the same excitement as if I had never seen it before.  One of my favourite books is The Outermost House by Henry Beston about his house on Cape Cod, and I love to read it by an open window when there is a high wind blowing!

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing.... I also , just love the outermost house....my father gave it to me when I was about 17... The house on nauset marsh is another wonderful book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling me about The House on Nauset Marsh - I have just ordered it!

    ReplyDelete