Pages

Wednesday 1 December 2010

Where Did You Get That Hat? Christie's of Course!

Though I had on my wellington boots yesterday in the snow, I clean forgot to take a hat - and one of these hats would have cut quite a dash at the reception last night! They are for sale at Christie's Auction tomorrow, 2 December.
Above is an 18th century Gentleman's nightcap from continental Europe. It would not have been worn in bed, but as a little something comfortable to change into in the evening together with a suitably embellished gown. It is Lot 50 and the estimate is £2,000-£3,000.
Now this is the one I would have chosen personally for the do last night, I love those peascods with the peas lined up inside - it speaks to the countrywoman in me. The whole texture and rhythm of the design on this early 17th century lady's coif is so appealing. It is Lot 75 with an estimate of £600-£1000.
This Lady's coif is very dainty with its ivory silk ground and trim of gilt lace. As you will have guessed it is later than the coif above and is dated to the late 17th or early 18th century. It is lot 72 with an estimate of £3,000-£4,000.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I just love seeing these. It makes me want to get out my needle and thread, do a little embroidery and make some bobbin lace.
    I am quickly growing to be a fan and expanding my knowledge of 18th century fashion. I learned this past year at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, USA that men wore caps like this to keep there heads warm and covered at night when they would take their wigs off. Since you had to shave your head in order to wear a wig properly, it is how if fits properly and stays on the head with just a touch of stubble to grip the wig foundation.
    Are there any pudding hat's for children in the auction that you know of? I am wanting to make one of those for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete