Pages

Wednesday 23 September 2009

Lucy is in the Sky with Diamonds and her Mother

Our neighbour told us today that his daughter, Lucy, had died. It is just two years ago that his charming wife, my friend and sampler lover, Catherine died. During one of our afternoon tea sessions, Catherine told me how her daughter had gone to school with Julian Lennon. One day they were painting and were told to paint a picture of their best friend. So Lucy painted Julian and Julian painted Lucy. They were the typical paintings of young children. A band of green across the bottom, a strip of blue across the top and somewhere in between floated a friend. When Lucy's parents saw the picture they asked who it was of. 'Julian', said Lucy. And when Julian showed his picture, he answered the same question. 'It's Lucy. In the sky. With diamonds.' So Lucy is home now, safe with her mother.

4 comments:

  1. How sad. I'd recently read how Julian had gotten back in touch with Lucy and was helping her out a bit with her health care costs or something. And now she's passed away. Give my condolences to your neighbor. And I know this doesn't go with such somber news, but how cool that you have this connection. I'm a huge Beatles fan, so is my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear your sad news Jacqueline, but good to hear you have such wonderful memories of your friends. My heart goes out to your neighbour, losing his daughter at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your neighbour's loss. It's like an icon has passed away: not only was a great song named after her, but also indirectly one of our prehistoric hominid ancestors, because the song was playing when her skeleton was discovered.

    ReplyDelete