Pages

Monday 7 December 2009

Audrey Hepburn's Quilts * Kerry Taylor Auction * 8 December


I had just made a pot of tea and decided I would do some web-browsing by way of light relief - and saw this Kerry Taylor Auction of Audrey Hepburn's Collection. How could I resist? And, there in the middle of the shoes and handbags, there were these two delightful quilts which immediately I fell in love with. This first is to celebrate Queen Victoria's Coronation and was stitched around 1838.

My heart was stolen by the toe-tapping fiddler here playing for the jolly country-dancers - so called, if I remember rightly, because country dance was a corruption of the French contre (facing) danse.
This second, silk appliqued quilt of the 1860s is such a contrast to the first, isn't it? How I admire the stillness and repose of the central figure amongst the whirl around her.

And I couldn't not show you a beautiful frock, now could I? If only......

No comments:

Post a Comment